Lake Erie Waterkeeper Summary Strategic Plans / Goals
- To preserve and to improve the ecosystem in Lake Erie and its watersheds including St. Joseph’s, Tiffin, Upper Maumee, St. Mary’s, Auglaize, Blanchard, Lower Maumee, Cedar-Portage, Sandusky, Huron-Vermillion, Black-Rocky, Cuyahoga, Ashtabula- Chagrin, Grand, Central Basin North Shore Tributaries, Ottawa-Stony, and Raisin.
- To document the history of t Lake Erie including its rivers, streams, bays and aquatic life.
- To educate and create a support group(s) for the Lake Erie watershed. .
- To protect and improve aquatic and water related species and habitat
- To provide for short and long term planning for dredge disposal facilities.
- To review Lake Erie watershed permits and comments
- To conduct education and outreach promoting the value of the Lake Erie watershed including sports fish species like walleye, yellow perch, and bass.
Meetings, generally 2nd Thursday of each month at 7:00p.m. at the Toledo Yacht Club 3900 N. Summit – near Coast Guard Station – check website. All meetings are open.
A grass roots organization, the Maumee Bay Association, began meeting in 2000 when there was a proposal to expand the dredge disposal facility in the bay. Sandy Bihn led the group which met monthly and expanded issues and region. In 2004/2005 the group joined the WATERKEEPER Alliance and became the Western Lake Erie Waterkeeper Association. The organization obtained a 501(c)(3) from the IRS in 2005. In January 2011, the organization expanded to serve all of Lake Erie and is renamed Lake Erie Waterkeeper Inc. In 2012 the Lake Erie Waterkeeper program has expanded with a Central Basin/Eastern Basin Cleveland program. Also in 2012 the program expanded with the Lake Erie Improvement Association which is working from an economic development approach to promote Lake Erie while fixing the algae problem. The Lake Erie Improvement Association has its own commission and is stand alone and sponsored by Lake Erie Waterkeeper Inc. lakeerieimprovement.org
The citizen-based membership organization was founded to protect Lake Erie waters including its tributaries from numerous pollution and problems. Another major goal is to preserve and enhance fish populations .
We are committed to protecting your privacy. To make your giving relationship and/or contact experience with Lake Erie Waterkeeper more meaningful, we maintain the privacy of your information using security technologies and adhering to policies that prevent unauthorized use of your personal information.
What personal information do we collect, and how is it used? We collect information about which portions of our website visitors access or visit. We also collect information volunteered by website visitors, such as survey information and/or voluntary website registrations. Any personal information we collect is used for internal review and is either discarded or used by us to contact members for purposes such as those described below. We keep confidential all personal information entered during website registrations or on the reply slips of direct mail.
When we do collect personally identifiable information, it is always voluntarily submitted by you (e.g., when you fill out the website registration page or send back a direct mail reply device.) The information collected is used to send our users email updates and other information we think will be of interest. If, for any reason, you would like to be removed from our email mailing lists, you can contact Lake Erie Waterkeeper directly using our Contact page.
Protecting your privacy
Black Warrior Riverkeeper will never sell, trade or give any personal information collected on this website or via membership forms to any third-party.
Links to Other Sites
The Lake Erie Waterkeeper website provides links to several other third party websites. While we make efforts to choose our links carefully, we cannot take any responsibility for the content of linked websites, or for the privacy policies of websites we link to. Since we do not control these websites, we encourage you to review the privacy policies posted on these third party websites prior to any use.